Recent Posts

Friday, December 2, 2011

Let's Celebrate: Morning Tea Party + Red Velvet Cupcakes


After almost one year going on hiatus, I'm back with a new camera, alhamdulilah.
I decided not go to with another DSLR camera to replace the one I lost. Instead, I went for a Sony Cybershot DSC HX100V which sorta looks very much like an SLR camera. I can fool people thinking that it is. *evil laugh*

But that's not the reason why I chose it. Honest!
I wanted a camera that's user friendly with a decent enough photo quality that I can use on-the-go. I didn't want to spend a few minutes configuring the camera before taking shots. I just wanted to "snap, snap, snap". And I feel that this camera is perfect for that. Obviously, the photo quality from a Point-and-Shoot camera is incomparable with any DSLR but you can't have everything you want. I have to say I am quite happy with this little Sony. 



Anyway, now that I'm back, let's celebrate! 

The sisters from HIYC organised a ladies only Morning Tea Party on Tuesday to raise funds for the centre and I was asked to make cupcakes for the event.  Of course, being me, I couldn't refuse. I'll take any opportunity to bake. 

I decided to go with Red Velvet Cupcakes. You can't go wrong. 


The batter was a little messy to work with as you can see. But then again, I am a messy baker so it makes no difference to me.


My true colours are showing.



 You wouldn't believe how much red food colouring I used to make 6 batches. It was insane. 
Whoops. I shouldn't have said anything.



Just pretend you didn't know, okay?
They are so darn irresistible that you'll forget about it anyway. 


Look at the amount of food on the day! I spy my little cupcakes...



Don't worry. Everyone was hungry.



Some were made by the sisters, some were donated. May Allah (swt) reward them all.



The bread was super soft!



Hello, cupcake!


More food!



The decor was done by a very talented sister, mashaAllah.


Just testing my camera. Not bad for a close up shot.



Oh how I'm totally obsessed with these cups and saucers.



It was a shame they were only for decoration. I wanted to buy them!


Bid on this frame instead. It's the start of Surah Mulk.

I didn't realise it was a 30 degree day. No wonder I was covered in sweat! The air-con broke down the night before so everyone was fanning away at their tables. My friend and I refreshed ourselves with Gloria Jeans Chillers afterwards. It was a brilliant idea.


Mocha Ice Blend.



Strawberry somethin'.

Oh look what I saw.


This little beast. Nice. It's retailing for $395. That's pretty good. But I guess I would have to reviews on it first before judging. 


Finally, the recipe!

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Adapted from Bakerella with slight changes
Makes 30+ cupcakes or two 8 inch cakes.

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups oil
1 cup milk mixed with two tablespoons yoghurt (or you could use buttermilk instead)
1 Tablespoon vinegar
2 sachets vanilla powder (or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence)
50g red food coloring

1. Preheat oven to180 degrees celcius.
2. Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners.
3. Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Add remaining liquid ingredients and stir together with whisk until blended. Set aside.
4. Place all the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir together really good with another wire whisk. Start with the flour and sugar, then add the rest.
5. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute or until completely combined.
6. Pour batter in muffin pans just a little over 2/3rds full. Beware: the cupcake will rise quite high.
7. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8.After about ten minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
9. Make the frosting.


Cream Cheese Frosting
250g cream cheese, room temperature
250g butter, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar

1. Sift sugar and set aside.
2. Beat cream cheese and butter on high until creamy. Add vanilla.
3. Then, add the sugar in batches. Scrape down the sides in between each addition.
4. Frost away.

3 comments:

Shahirah Elaiza said...

So good to have you back =) I've missed you!

Awesome shots. Congrats on the camera (mashaAllah!)

hijabi hippie hypo said...

I was so surprised to receive an email notifying me of a new blog post on this blog! It's great that you're back. Great snaps, as usual. Look forward to more posts.

Shazana Shaik said...

Salam sis, the buttermilk measurement, should it be 1 cup also? Btw Alhamdulillah great to see your posts again.

Post a Comment

Share the love.